07 June 2010

Summer Mornings


5.00am on summer mornings is a good time to start writing. I can get a good few hours solid writing in before the children wake for breakfast.

The working brief for ‘Nina Swift and the SkyGod,’ is complete: that means I have the story, characters, plot, reveals, and key scenes all mapped out. It has taken several months to get to this point. The first draft is underway, though, I’m still undecided whether to tell the story in the first or third person. What I have decided to do is write the first couple of chapter one drafts in both the first and third person and put them both up on Writers In Touch to see what an audience thinks.

In the light of John Truby’s ideas (see previous posts) I have modified my writing process to be more prescriptive up front and less prescriptive for the first draft, now making the second draft into the expanded scene brief. So, in brief, the process goes something like this:
· Story ideas & characters
· Opponent’s and protagonist’s motivations, needs, and desires
· Character and opponents’ conflict patterns
· Major reveals and reversals
· Scene brief
· First draft
· Second draft as the expanded scene brief
· Third draft
My aim this time is to have no more than three drafts of the entire novel, rather than the six drafts that I had for Helium3, and to complete it all by the end of the year.

It has been a while since I embarked on the writing of a novel. Since then I have learned an incredible amount about the crafts of writing and story telling. I am really excited about this new novel. All that is required now to make it work is plenty of BOS (Bum On Seat) – in other words, hard graft.

I shall be making the most of the light mornings that remain to me to get well into the early drafts.

No comments: