11 June 2010

More about Nina Swift and the SkyGod


I was originally going to write a second Mervyn Bright novel, a sequel to Helium3, but I have been persuaded by my three daughters to have a heroine instead. This fits nicely with a story idea which has been mulling around for a while, which, although still sci-fi/fantasy, is set in earth’s near future so there is a lot more familiarity for the reader.

I’ve also decided to follow the old maxim of writing about what I know, not in terms of subject matter or technical expertise, but in emotional and relational terms. So in many ways Nina’s story will have more of me in it.

Like Mervyn Bright, I have given Nina three companions, because with three you can push each character to the boundaries of friendship and end up with a community. This will not only give the story more opponents – friends being Nina’s first level opposition, but give the whole novel a strong ‘buddy story,’ feel, which I hope will result in lots of fun. There will also be three main opponents who, although linked together in a hierarchy, will also be in opposition to each other, so lots of drama. Now more BOS.

No comments: