28 November 2007

The Golden Compass



Came across this trailer for the Golden Compass today.




The trailer offered the code for inserting it into your own blog, so I thought I would give it a go. I read the Golden Compass a few years ago. While I was impressed by the scope of the story and the detail of the world, it left me feeling claustrophobic. Much like Court of the Air, I had to keep turning the pages to find out what happens, but I was not inspired to read the next book. Something about the book, maybe the story or the writing style, gave me a sense of oppressiveness, and I hate it when a book does that to me. You may enjoy it, however, so give it a go.

This idea of a victorian style world where airships are the main source of travel is almost becomming a genere in its own right: His Dark Materials, Traction cities, Cout of the Air, Skybreaker. If Mervyn does not fly perhaps I should join this trend

No comments: