01 November 2007

Another Competition


Today I received an email advising that a space has become available in the Amazon/Penguin (US) new writer’s competition. This means one of the 5000 people who originally entered has not produced their manuscript in time.

Odds of 1:5000 don’t sound too bad when you consider that the Times/Chickenhouse competition is liable to receive 10 – 20,000 entries. My real interest in the Amazon competition, however, is in being named as one of the 1000 semi-finalists: that’s a 1:4 chance. Technically, I would then be able to claim in my next submission letter that I was selected as a semi-finalist in the Penguin/Amazon New Writer’s competition. With any luck this could get me out of the slush pile (or discovery pile as Nathan Bransfield calls it – I like that description better) or a requested partial. It’s worth a go anyway. I now have 7 days for a final polish and to make that submission.

No comments: